This is one of my own creations from when I made Paleo Products for a local Gold Coast Cafe (2013-2015).
You can make a variety of flavours (eg, mango or strawberry) … there are no rules except to simply indulge your taste buds!
“Raw Cashew & Berry Delight is a beautifully designed dessert packed with powerful antioxidants.”
Combining a beautiful mixture of berries, nuts, dates, coconut, vanilla, lemon and a splash of raw bush honey this frozen dessert is rich in flavour, with a tart finish.
It is a reasonably easy dessert to master and I encourage you to add your own twist by using Limes & Mango or Strawberries & Banana. Be creative and choose organic ingredients where possible.
Base / Crust:
-2/3 cup Raw Almonds*
-2/3 cup Soft Medjool Dates
-1/4 tsp Himalayan Salt
-1 ½ cups Raw Cashews (soaked in filtered water for at least 5 hours, overnight is best)
-Juice of 2 lemons
-1 tsp alcohol-free Vanilla Extract (or seeds of 1 whole Vanilla Bean)
-1/3 cup Extra Virgin Coconut oil, melted
-1/3 cup Raw Honey
-2/3 cup Raspberries (ensure completely thawed if using frozen)
-1/3 cup Blueberries (ensure completely thawed if using frozen)
-Loaf Tin (9.5×5.5 inch)
-Waxed Parchment Paper
- Line a Loaf Tin with parchment paper.
- Place almonds and dates in food processor with himalayan salt & pulse until preferred consistency. You want the base to be sticky enough that the ingredients hold firmly together. Scoop out crust mixture and place into a loaf tin.
- Press down, ensuring edges are even and mix is firmly set. Place in freezer. Rinse food processor well before using again
- Drain the cashews, removing all water. Set aside
- Whilst the base is freezing (allow at least 30 minutes), warm the coconut oil and honey in small saucepan on low heat until it completely liquefies. Add vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- In a powerful food processor, place the cashews, lemon juice, coconut oil, honey & vanilla. Blend on high until mixture is very smooth & creamy. It may take a couple of minutes to achieve this consistency.
- Remove crust from freezer and pour about 2/3 of filling mixture (leave the rest in the food processor) onto the crust and smooth evenly with a spatula. Place in freezer for another 20 minutes to set
- Add the berries to the remaining mixture and blend on high until smooth. Once first layer has set (enough to ensure top mixture remains a separate layer) pour the berry mix on top.
- Place in the freezer until solid. Allow at least 2 hours.
To serve, remove from freezer 30 minutes prior to eating. Run a smooth, sharp knife under hot water and cut into slices.
Tip: It is best to wrap & store smaller portions in freezer if not being used.
Tip: *Raw Almonds- I often dry roast almonds in a fan forced oven on 150 C for 10 minutes at least 3 hours prior. Ensure they’ve cooled completely. The flavour is more enhanced.