Each White Lady Funeral home will act as a donation point for handbags with female sanitary items during the November #itsinthebag Christmas Appeal. All donated products will be collected by Share the Dignity and distributed to women and transgender people in need.
5 HARD FACTS WE CAN’T IGNORE
- Over 105,000 people are currently homeless in Australia; 44% of them identify as women. (Reported by Homelessness Australia)
- In 2015, at least 75 women died from domestic violence.
- One in four women has experienced physical or sexual violence.
- 25% of homelessness in women is due to domestic and family violence.
- Service stations and public restrooms are these women’s best friends, especially during their menstrual cycle; using what hand towels and toilet paper they can find to make themselves make-shift pads.
The homeless women and women who have fled domestic violence are using newspaper as pads as they often leave violent relationships with nothing and using their last $5 on sanitary items is not something they are choosing to do.
Share the Dignity believes that sanitary items should be a right NOT a privilege, and that no woman should suffer the indignity of choosing between eating or buying sanitary items.
Share the Dignity is the driving force behind a number of community campaigns to donate and help give support to these women in need.
PLEASE HELP US:
During the month of November, please donate your spare handbags filled with thoughtful items such as toiletries, sanitary items and anything practical and appropriate to Santarita & Cheryl Ann at OM YOGA SHALA GOLD COAST and we will gift them to “Share the Dignity Christmas Appeal”.
Please call Santarita on 0427 774 870 for more information