Oil pulling, also known as “Kavala” or “Gundusha,” is an ancient Ayurvedic dental technique that involves swishing a tablespoon of oil in your mouth on an empty stomach for around 20 minutes. This action is said to draw out toxins in your body, primarily to improve oral health but also to improve your overall health.
Oil pulling has been touted to improve a variety of ailments including skin issues like acne and psoriasis, hormonal problems, arthritic pain, allergies, chronic pain, migraines, digestive upsets and much more.
I‘ve been practicing oil pulling, on and off, for sometime now and have found the following benefits:
- Reduced bacteria in the mouth
- Reduced headaches and brain fog
- Increased oral health
- Reduced plaque on the teeth
- Decreased knee joint pain (usually from running)
- Reduced chemical load – a sense of feeling internally clean
- Increased whitening of teeth
- Increased mental awareness / alertness
- Increased overall physical health
- Reduced craving for coffee and other stimulants
Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil Directions
- In the morning before drinking or eating, place 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth, making sure not to swallow. The morning is an ideal time to oil pull because bacteria levels are at their highest, providing the greatest potential for cleansing and detoxification. Be sure to use cold pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil only.
- Swish the oil around your mouth for approximately 15-20 minutes like you would a regular mouthwash. Do not gargle or swallow the oil.
- After you oil pull, there will be a number of bacteria and toxins contained within the oil so it’s very important not to swallow it.
- After 15-20 minutes, spit the oil out into the bin. Do not spit into the sink as it may harden and can cause blockages in the pipe.
- Brush your teeth, tongue and gums straight away.
- Rinse and gargle with warm water. You can add a pinch of himalyan sea salt for extra healing of the gums.
- Optional: I recommend drinking warm water and lemon afterwards to really cleanse the body.
- Optional: Many people oil pull whilst taking a shower.
Notes: If you’re having difficulty swishing the oil for 15 -20 minutes just do it for as little as 5 minutes initially and work your way up. Even though the morning is the most ideal time to oil pull, anytime during the day or night that you can fit time in to oil pull will be very beneficial!